Everybody Lies

Monday, October 24, 2011

Procter Gambling with YouTube Viewers

The evil P&G are very active on YouTube. Frequently when I want to watch a music video I have to suffer one of their commercials first.

This raises two questions. Firstly is it wise to annoy consumers in this way. Interrupting TV programmes is acceptable as TV is a passive media. But the internet is active & therefore I am irritated every time I have to wait 30 seconds to see my selection. Also Procter ads are effective but dull so it's doubly annoying.

Secondly P&G are paying YouTube who are owned by Google. Is Google paying Led Zeppelin when they put an awful ad in front of their music? Led Zeppelin famously never released singles & have only rarely allowed their music to be used in films & adverts. I doubt they would be pleased to find ads for the new Gillette 11 blade razor shaving close to their performance.