Everybody Lies

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Is IKEA fascist...?

A few weeks ago I was having breakfast with Jonathan Margolis from the Financial Times. I mentioned an article about IKEA that I had read years ago in his paper about the founder of IKEA, Ingvar Kamprad, being a Nazi. Jonathan happily mentioned that he had written the article in question.

He kindly sent it to me as it is sadly it is not available on the internet. In the piece Margolis writes that Ingvar Kamprad, the I.K. of IKEA, was associated with "a variety of fascist movements in the 1940s & 1950s."

Margolis then asks the question, if Hitler had won, "would Kamprad's innate decency... have stopped him from using slave labour to make IKEA furniture?"

This question was answered in the Daily Telegraph on September 5th; "IKEA used political prisoners as slave labour in the GDR." See headline link for details. If you want the full FT story of IKEA's fascist roots simply write to me at pgarethbrown@gmail.com