Everybody Lies

Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Big Easy

I haven't mentioned Jill Blenkinsopp for a while & I feel that is remiss of me. As keen readers will know Miss B was the main target for my imaginative wind-ups. But if she wasn't available I would sharpen my skills with media owners.

Admittedly this was a poor substitute as media owners are selling to buyers & will therefore put up with a lot of grief whilst trying to hawk their wares.

My boss James Whitmore would take them to McDonald's on Camden high street if they wanted "lunch". I wouldn't go that far but I would find inappropriate locations depending on the rep involved. Our representative for the Radio Times was a classic chintzy "twin set & pearls" type so I took her to a Rastafarian cafe in Notting Hill.

My favourite ruse though was when a client sent me a bottle of Jack Daniels for Christmas. This was a 1.5 litre optic normally used in bars. When I met with media reps I would offer them the option of "tea, coffee.... or JD." They were always shocked by this choice & politely declined.

I would then say, "you don't mind if I have one do you" as I took the giant flask from my desk.