Everybody Lies

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Shooting an Elephant

Somebody asked me directions in Warsaw the other day. I wanted to tell them to head towards the sun, but my Polish isn't that good so I think I told them to go towards the elephant.

Which reminds me of books about elephants by different nationalities.

The Englishman wrote, Elephants I have shot; The Frenchman wrote L'Elephant l'amour und der Germans wrote Vorsprung durch das Futur Metafisik auf das Elefant. The American wrote The Elephant and how to make him bigger.

Somebody did a version for the Nordic countries. The Finns wrote, Finland's debt to the Elephant; the Swedes wrote What Sweden did for the Elephant during the Second World War and the Norwegians wrote a book titled; Norway & the Norwegians.

And finally the Russians wrote; The Elephant - A Russian Invention & The Soviet Elephant: The Greatest Elephant in the World.