Everybody Lies

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Vanity Fair

One of the strangest aspects of working in media is our amazing ability to celebrate ourselves.

The Media Department used to be a dull but necessary part of the advertising process. A bit like the Finance Department but without the glamour. Then at some point in the 1980s we were able to convince ourselves & others that we were communication architects & channel planners. So we had to learn how to spell new words like "context" & "amplify."

We still put 90% of our clients money on TV. But now we did it with a new "paradigm" in mind. I met a client once who was worried that 90% of his money was being spent on TV. I had to agree with his concern, it should have been 100%.

To prove our "creative" credentials we have to give ourselves awards (see headline link). As far as I am aware the finance department doesn't receive an Audit of the Year prize or a Most Creative Tax Evasion award. But we can claim a Best use of Radio gong. This is ridiculous. The best use of radio is not to use it at all. Or to buy TV and leave the screen blank.

I am not complaining. I work in Media you see. I am an Moment Architect...and I always wanted to be an Architect. My mum is proud.