Everybody Lies

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Life, the Universe & Everything

When I was a teenager I was looking for a place at University in London. I only wanted to study in London. Both my parents had attended University there & after growing up in Edinburgh anywhere else in the UK would have been boring.

I went to stay with a friend of my mother who had a flat close to the centre. She was a friendly Australian lady & everything was wonderful. One night her daughter came to see her. We were all sitting in the kitchen while her daughter was telling us about how her husband Douglas was renovating the house. Douglas was putting a swimming pool in the basement. I began to wonder who the hell this "Douglas" was?

I found out later that evening that "Douglas" was Douglas Adams, the author of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. A book that was the Harry Potter of it's day. And Adams was the JK Rowling. Hitchhiker's Guide was "a trilogy of 5 books" that sold over 15 million copies in his lifetime. I had read them all & watched the TV series. And now I was sitting with his wife discussing his swimming pool.

Those that know his books will understand that this blog could easily have been called the 42 rules of media. The answer to the ultimate question of what is the meaning of life, the universe & everything.